WE HAVE AN AWARD WINNING TEAM!
UNC Charlotte's Fleet Management and Service Center was awarded the 2022 Quality Fleet Management Award for State Agencies by the Southeastern Governmental Flet Managers Association (SGFMA) on October 19, 2022. This annual award "recognizes governmental agencies whose innovatibe fleet management practices have improved productivity, quality and service, or produced substantial savings for their agency or department."
Left to right: Solomon T. Franklin, Landon Martin, Sonia Perez, Shelia James (SGFMA President), T.J. Woods, Jonathan Johnson, Chris Holley, Scott Clark (SGFMA board member) and Rich Steele. Other staff not pictured, but who were recognized were Brandon Bonds, Kathy Fisher, Vince McNeil, and Melanie Witherspoon.
Fleet Management and Service Center serves as the central administrator for UNC Charlotte-owned vehicles, leased vehicles and grounds equipment. This unit seven employees. The Fleet Manager manages a service stations which provide fuel; vehicle and equipment maintenance; and pooled vehicle resources to Facilities Management and campus customers. Administrative responsibilities include:
- Collecting and entering NC Motor Fleet vehicle logs into a state-wide system for monthly billing
- Fleet policy development
- Implementation of strategic initiatives
- Operating central vehicle equipment and vehicle pools
- Responding to the state Department of Administration on UNC Charlotte vehicle complaints
- Managing the state-required vehicle exmption process
- Recomendation and assistance for replacement and purchasing of campus vehicles and equipment
- Customer billing for all fleet-related vehicles
The Service Center, operated by Fleet Management is located in Building J on campus. University vehicles are to be serviced (lubrication and oil change) every 5,000 miles or six months, whichever occurs first. Standard service also includes tire rotation and a multi-point inspection and safety check to supplement the annual State-required safety inspection. Services provided by the Service Center include:
- Front end alignment
- Lubrication and oil change
- Major and minor engine tuneup
- Alternator and starter repair
- Electrical and lighting repair
- Muffler and tail pipe repair
- Tire repair or replacement
- Antifreeze service and cooling system repair
- State inspection service
- Local road service for stalled vehicles
- Chains installation
Major repairs such as engine or transmission replacements as well as body work are not done by the Service Station but can arrange for it to be performed by a local vendor with an estimate provided to the customer before the work is done.
The fueling site offers E85 fuel and regular gasoline, which can be accessed 24 hours a day. A self-service car wash is available for employees to wash their vehicles, and we provide glass cleaner, cloths and vacuum cleaners.